What is sex therapy?
Sex therapy is a specialized form of counselling that offers a wide range of benefits to individuals and couples who seek assistance in addressing various sexual concerns, difficulties, and challenges. It provides a safe and confidential environment where clients can explore and better understand their sexual needs, preferences, and desires. Through the guidance of a trained sex therapist, clients can develop healthier attitudes towards sex and improve their overall sexual well-being.
Our Therapists Are Ready To Help You
We are here to help you, just give us a call or send an email and we will be happy to answer your questions or book your therapy session.
What are the benefits of Sex Therapy?
While it may seem daunting to discuss such personal topics with a therapist, the advantages of sex therapy are undeniable and can lead to significant improvements in one's sexual and emotional well-being.
- Enhanced Communication: Effective communication is the foundation of any healthy relationship. Sex therapy encourages open and honest discussions about sexual desires, boundaries, and concerns. By fostering better communication between partners, sex therapy helps individuals and couples understand each other's needs and work together to achieve mutual satisfaction.
- Improved Intimacy: Intimacy is not solely about physical closeness but also emotional connection. Sex therapy addresses both the emotional and physical aspects of intimacy, helping couples build trust and emotional bonds. As a result, individuals and couples often experience deeper and more fulfilling connections.
- Resolution of Sexual Dysfunction: Sexual dysfunctions, such as erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, vaginismus, and low libido, can be distressing and detrimental to self-esteem and relationships. Sex therapy employs evidence-based techniques and strategies to address these issues, often leading to improved sexual function and greater sexual satisfaction.
- Trauma Recovery: Individuals who have experienced sexual trauma or abuse may find sex therapy invaluable. Therapists trained in trauma-informed care create a safe and supportive environment for survivors to process their experiences, reduce anxiety and fear, and regain control over their sexuality.
- Education and Awareness: Sex therapy is an educational process that equips individuals and couples with knowledge about sexual health, anatomy, and healthy sexual practices. This knowledge empowers them to make informed decisions about their sexual lives, fostering a sense of confidence and self-assuredness.
- Addressing Relationship Issues: Sex therapy goes beyond addressing sexual concerns; it also delves into underlying relationship dynamics that may contribute to sexual dissatisfaction. By working on these issues, couples can create more harmonious and fulfilling partnerships.
- Support for Sexual Identity Concerns: Individuals grappling with questions about their sexual identity can benefit from sex therapy. Therapists provide guidance and support in navigating the complexities of self-discovery and acceptance, creating a safe space for exploration.
- Stress Reduction: Sexual difficulties often lead to heightened stress and anxiety. Sex therapy equips individuals and couples with coping strategies and relaxation techniques to manage this stress effectively. Reducing sexual stress can positively impact overall mental and emotional well-being.
- Increased Self-Confidence: Successful resolution of sexual concerns through therapy can boost self-esteem and self-confidence. As individuals and couples witness improvements in their sexual lives, they often feel more positive about themselves and their relationships.
- Long-Lasting Benefits: The advantages of sex therapy extend beyond the short term. Couples and individuals who have undergone sex therapy often report sustained improvements in sexual satisfaction and overall relationship quality, emphasizing the enduring impact of this therapeutic approach.
Other Counselling Services We Offer
Grief Therapy & Trauma Counselling
Grief is a reaction to any form of loss such as the death of a loved one, the end of a relationship, or the loss of physical abilities due to illness or injury. Trauma is a distressing event in which a person feels severely threatened.
Online & Video Counselling
When busy schedules, lack of transportation, or living in a rural area gets in the way of your counselling, we provide the option to make an appointment for a video session with one of our counsellors.
If you are struggling with depression, anxiety, or lack of confidence, or you simply need help making decisions or finding motivation, Supporting Wellness can help. We believe that therapy is for everyone and it is empowering.
We Are Here To Help You
Benefits Of Supporting Wellness
Safe & Welcoming Environment
Our office is comfortable and inviting for clients of all ages with a modern, open, and friendly atmosphere. We do our best to ensure you feel completely safe and comfortable when you come for your appointment, whether with a family member or on your own.
Family Oriented Practice
We cater to families with multiple concerns. We are knowledgeable about marriage and family counselling, couples therapy, and child therapy. We are dedicated to maintaining an environment that is safe, comfortable and inviting to families.
We Listen & Give Feedback
We engage an interactive method to our therapy and counselling sessions. We listen intently, respond appropriately, provide relevant feedback, and often offer suggestions of additional activities and reading material to supplement our sessions.
We are specialized psychologists, not general counsellors. When you need speech therapy, DMT therapy or EMDR, you can have confidence in the training and experience of the professional providing your care.
No Referral Necessary
We do not require a referral from your family physician; seeking care from one of our trained psychologists is the first step to better mental and emotional health, and we want you to have easy access to the care you need.
We offer a free over-the-phone consult. Give us a call if you need to talk, and we can pair you with the therapist in our office with the appropriate training and experience to help you through your challenges.
Individual Therapy FAQ
All of the therapists at Supporting Wellness are multidisciplinary and meet all of the qualifications set out by the College of Alberta Psychologists. We believe in fostering a positive, relationship-focused environment where clients of all ages can come for support, guidance, and counselling through whatever concerns they may have. We have therapists ready to help you in both Calgary and Cold Lake.
Step 1: Over the Phone Consult
Give us a call for an over-the-phone consultation. Booking a therapy session requires no referral. We look forward to getting to know you and helping you access the care you need.
Step 2: Pair With a Specialist
Once we’ve spoken on the phone, we’ll be able to assess your concerns and pair you with a psychologist in our office who is best suited for your situation. We want you to receive relevant and relatable support. We have locations in both Calgary and Coldlake.
Step 3: Come in to Talk
We look forward to having you come in for your first session; our goal is to make you feel welcome and comfortable. You will sit down with a registered psychologist who has specialized knowledge of your area of concern.